The Andrew White House
The White House is named after “The Apostle of Maryland” Jesuit, Andrew White, who helped found St. Mary’s Maryland and returned to England to die in his later years. The Jesuits founded Canada, at around the same time as White was establishing Maryland. President Jefferson Davis, the only Confederate President, as the first to call the building, the White House. Interestingly, it was General Davis who accepted financial support from Pope Pius IX that greatly assisted the Southern Confederates against Abraham Lincoln’s Union soldiers. (The word soldier comes from sold-to-die, that is why they are issued “dog tags!.)
The name “White House,” however, was not used officially until President Theodore Roosevelt had it engraved on his stationery in 1901. Prior to that, the building was known variously as the “President’s Palace,” the “President’s House,” and the “Executive Mansion. Pastor Charles Chiniquy, born in 1809, was a noted French Canadian ex-priest who left the Roman confession after a long struggle with the bishop of Chicago over property. Former Roman Catholic priest, Charles Chiniquy wrote his most important book, Fifty Years in the Church of Rome. It is powerful scathing indictment of the Roman Catholic Church. Chiniquy claimed that the Roman Church, because they needed to counter the Protestants, who were 99% of the original settlers in America, favored the South. The Roman Catholics of the Vatican wanted civil war to weaken America and its support of liberty in general. He claimed that Abraham Lincoln was well aware of this, and that the hierarchy had fomented conspiracies against him, but did not make it publicly known, lest it “become a war of extermination on both sides.” The false rumors that Lincoln had been born Catholic, Chiniquy said, were spread by the Jesuits to make it appear that Lincoln was an apostate and renegade, and thus deserving of the ultimate fate the Church saved for heretics — death. Chiniquy claimed that the South would never have dared attack the North without assurances of covert assistance from the Church.